Thursday, September 15, 2011

I just changed the alternator on my car and its making a squeeling sound from the belt, should i tighten it?

car alternator belt squeeling
I just changed the alternator on my car and its making a squeeling sound from the belt, should i tighten it?
Yes and NOT TOO MUCH. Also take a Candle OR a Bar of Soap and rub it on the UNDERSIDE of the belt, and it will stop the squeeling. DO NOT DO IT WHILE IT IS RUNNING OR YOU MAY LOSE SOME FINGERS.
I just changed the alternator on my car and its making a squeeling sound from the belt, should i tighten it?
Yes. The belt is to loose or you haven't lined up the pullies right.
yes.
I'm assumeing this is a car with an old 'v' type belt. yes tighten it. It should deflect about 1/2%26quot; in the center when you put your full pressure with one finger on it. Grab the alternator and P-U-L-L. (then tighten)
yes,but not to tight,or you will damage your alternator bearings
For some reason in my car, the belt is constantly being worn out or coming lose and screaming at me, especially in the cold mornings (or that might be a coincidence), and I keep having to replace it. Thats the only thing I can find to do that works.



Good luck!
Loosten the adjusting bolt and the one underneath pull it back as tight as you can with a small prybar and hold it there while you tighten the adjusting bolt then tighten the bolt underneath. Yes its a loose belt.Has nothing to do with pulleys they are naturally aligned just as long as its on track. Im a diesel mechanic for the government.
The belt is either too slack or needs changing, check in between the teeth for cracks.
An alternative answer,,,,, assuming it is not a V belt type and is a ribbed serpentine belt is your belt tensioner has gone bad. They have a finite life and when they get old do not put enough pressure on the belt to prevent the sqealing you hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment