Friday, September 23, 2011

What is alternator drive belt for 99 Jeep?

Would faulty cause knocking/ticking sounds? Took into Firestone today, they did oil change and tune-up, said I need new oil pressure switch, which is causig slow oil leak, and new alternator drive belt? Would that cause the %26quot;ticking%26quot; sounds? Almost sounds like a cord is hanging below my Jeep, and as I drive faster it %26quot;bangs%26quot; up against something... I slow down and it slows down... I hear it lightly sometimes when I first start, or at idle. BUT when I go over a bump or pot hole, I can hear it hit %26quot;harder%26quot; than it normally does... maybe exhaust leak? My husband is deployed... I have no %26quot;man%26quot; to assist me in this area, and hate to get ripped off by bringing it to the wrong shop w/ no idea w/ what is going on... Fireston gave me an estimate of $1100 of their %26quot;recommendations%26quot;... like a new site of tires, air filters, etc..... I can do my own air filter, and just bought a K%26amp;N.... I normally change my own oil, but have NO clue what this knocking/ticking/clicking sound is... and the tune-up and oil change I paid Firestone to do for $200, they changed the oil and the spark plugs... that is about it... HELP PLEASE!!!! E-mail at crazyakokie
What is alternator drive belt for 99 Jeep?
wow ok first stop going to firestone ok i work there or at one an dthat one sounds high

oil change 20 bucks

tune-up maybe 35

oil pressure switch might be 20

alternator belt maybe 20

air filter 5 bucks ok first you can do oil chnage then you could make most of the othe repairs as well sounds like you knwo something about cars an dthat you know most of it th ehard part is knowing what is wrong you can find autozone helpful with ow to replace most an dreally you knwo what your needing can just type that into search box an dfind even videos of how to do it like type

how to replace belt alternator

how to replace belt alternator 1999 jeep

how to replace oil sending unit

how to replace spark plugs 1999 jeep



see where im going and if you add video like



how to replace alternator belt video



you can see tha done also im sure you could do most of your car repairs at home an dsave your self big time 200 for the oil an d tune up was great to have someone do it but wouldnt have cost half that if you would have done it if you change oil you could replace oil sending unit most of time its close to oil filter just unscrews and one wire mine cost 12 bucks an dsure sounds coul dbe a belt flying a part you could replace that easy 20 bucks and 20 minutes most of time autozone can print out a how to if you ask an dyou can go to their website type in your info an dlook up place and part price and get a how to do it as well and you can do it if your not sure ask or type what you want to know
What is alternator drive belt for 99 Jeep?
Firestone in MWC, OK charged me $215.80 to change my oil, and replace spark plugs, I'm positive they did NOT change my wires... I had a friend replace the serpentine belt, firestone quoted me $95.24 total, I bought the Gator belt from autozone for like $29.99 FIRESTONE = RIP OFF (even to a girl)

Report Abuse


It's still making that clicking sound, like something is loose and knocking around... I crawled under the Jeep, couldn't see ANYTHING hanging down... Thks for everyone's assistance, and appreciation of my husband's serving currently in Afghanistan.

Report Abuse


Yes the belts can make a ticking noise , but not a loud banging sound under the car. have you shocks checked and muffler as well. Good luck
Props to your husband for doing what he is doing. As far as you not wanting to be ripped off, simply go to a national chain or a reputable shop that does free estimates on these sorts of things and ask them to show you in the shop what is causing this. You'd be suprised, most shops are not out to rip you off. How could they stay in business ripping everyone off? Most shops are honest, well except Just Brakes and their 99 dollar front and rear brake jobs.
yea i would say check the shocks and struts and all around the wheels for anything that might be loose and check the exhaust system for a leak or another loose part
Yes a loose drivebelt will cause noise under you engine. You may also want to look under the car to see if your Oxygen sensor didn't fall out of the catalytic converter.

If I were you I wouldn't go to them. It shouldn't cost that much money for what needs done to your car.

They are expensive go to a different garage!



Shouldn't cost that much for an hr or two of work!

Alternator belt-30mins tops

Oil pressure switch-10 mins

K%26amp;N filter with housing-30 mins





even at 90 bucks and hour labor and some parts shoudln't be more than 400 dollars
well i am no expert, but ill attempt to explain a lil bit. an alternator creates the power to run functions in the car and restore the battery power, well the alternator is turned by the motor, so the reason the cost would be so high is that it must be taken apart from the engine and is normally located in odd places, i have had to replace an alternator in my honda and it ended up costing extra because it was located under the engine hidden by my axle so they had to remove my tire and move my axle to get to it. and the knocking could be from a belt but belts do not normally knock in a vehicle but make a bit of a skreetching noise. the knock could be caused by a loose heat shield like in my honda and i fixed it by ripping it off. Damned honda needed so much work. also a knocking could be caused by something as simple as the muffler. Dont over look the simpler things like that. get together with a friend lift the car with a jack and rev the engine and find out where the knock could be coming from cuz it xould be a 5 dollar fix vs a 1100 dollar garage visit. also for a last leaving note i respect your significant other as i do not kno if ur married and hope you have the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment