Thursday, September 15, 2011

Changing a power steering belt on a 96 Toyota Corolla?

Hi.

I recently had an issue with my 96 Corolla. (It's used, but recently new to me). The power steering went and it smelt like rubber. Now I'm not much of a car guy, I do my own oil change + filters, change my tires if something happens, the basic stuff.



I checked the power steering fluids, and they were fine. Took it to Autozone and the guy looked at the belt and sure enough if was off, and it was freyed a bit. I got a new belt but I'm having trouble getting it on.



I've changed the AC compressor on my old 93 Corolla and the belts and the like. So I have a general idea. I did some research online and it seemed straight forward. So after some time I got the alternator belt off no problem, but the belt for the steering is such a snug fit I can't get it on, I even had a friend helping me trying to get it over.



Is there a tensioner somewhere for it that I'm not seeing? Or maybe a way to losen it?

Something with pictures or a video would be ideal. :-P
Changing a power steering belt on a 96 Toyota Corolla?
Did you remove the alternator yet? Once you remove the alternator loosen the pivot/adjusting bolt and push the power steering pump towards the engine you may have to keep adjusting the pivot adjusting bolt but do not i repeat DO NOT remove the entire bolt, it will be the biggest pain in the as$ to put it back in, trust me I had to do it in my shop after someone decided to change a belt themselves, anyways reverse the steps once you get the belt back on these old corollas don't have tensioners, it should be a bolt in front of the alternator as if you were looking at it from the front of the car thats a pivot adjusting bolt that loosens and tightens. Or another option is to Unbolt the power steering pump from the upper mount point, and loosen the lower mount bolt, but do not remove it. This will cause the pump's pulley and belt to lose tension as the pump pivots on the lower bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment