Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Alternator Belt issues?

Car Details:

Mitsubishi Galant 98 ES

111000 Miles



Problem:

Since last 1 year, my alternator belt came off thrice and my car must have run 5000 miles in that period. I guess the problem become more chronic when the period between the last 2 times when the belt broke/came off was just 1 month and I hardly drove 200 miles.



Symptoms:

Just before the belt use to break, I use to get a squealing noise from my car whenever I use to push the accelartor. Sometimes I use to continue with that noise and then the belt use to break.



I took my car to the same mechanic and this time I asked why this keeps happening. After a while he called me up and said you will have to replace the Water pump belt and that is freezing up (or something like that) and he said that he %26quot;thinks%26quot; that might be the cause why the belt is breaking and he said that the cost of doing it would be $750 (parts + labor). My mechanic also said that the consequences could be really bad if I don't replace the Water Pump and he almost forced me to get it replaced over the phone. But I resisted. I got a feeling that may be that is not what the real problem is as I don't trust that shop much. I generally get my Oil change from there and that's it.



Now, before spending a huge amount (remember I am a student), I would like to get a second opinion from experts like you. Do you think the problem could be with the pulley tensioner rather than Water Pump Belt? I really do not have much knowledge about the belt stuff.



Please advice me in this matter and please let me know what steps I should take further.



Thanks
Alternator Belt issues?
Yes, the squeal could be caused by a faulty water pump.

However, a breaking alternator belt would have nothing to do with the water pump, because the water pump is timed.. Heres what you need to do. Take the alternator belt off, start your car. If you dont hear a squeal, then you know theres where your problem lies. If you hear the squeal, then its more then likely your going to have 2 problems (the squeal within the timing belt, and the reason for a breaking alternator belt).

Water pumps and alternator belt tentioners are common issues with 92-98 galants, so both of them may need to be replaced.
Alternator Belt issues?
Could be the belt tensioner pulley or the water pump locking up. Remove the belt and turn them with your hands and see if there is any binding.
If the water pump is Siezing up it can cause the belt to break. The bearings in the water pump sieze up and caust eh pully not to turn, causing the belt to drag and wear, and then break. I would say that would be a good diagnosis on it, If left for too long and you still continue to drive it, it will cause the car to overheat and damage the engine. And that seems like a fair price. I've done them for more, and I've done them for less. I would say he's right on the dot. I was thinking right when i started read, %26quot;something is seizing up a bearing, which pulley?%26quot;.

No comments:

Post a Comment