Friday, September 23, 2011

1983 jeep Cherokee fan belt exchange?

I'm having trouble changing the fan belt on this truck, because I cant find the tension adjustment on the belt system. I think its in the power stering, but it might be on the alternator. where is it located?
1983 jeep Cherokee fan belt exchange?
If its a serpentine belt as you're facing it, it's the smaller smooth-sided wheel on the right.
1983 jeep Cherokee fan belt exchange?
If I am not mistaking, the adjustment is on the driver's side. I think that it has a bolt that adjusts it and 1 or 2 bolts that hold it is place.
Well it depends if you have a serpentine belt (one belt that drives everything) or if you have v-belts. If you have v-belts, you will have to tighten each belt at a different location usually. If you have power steering, adjusting the power steering pump is how you tighten that belt. You will have to adjust the alternator to tighten that belt as well. I have an 81 Jeep CJ-7 with a 258 (4.2L) 6 cyl that has v-belts and this is how I tighten my belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment