Thursday, October 6, 2011

I can't get my drive belt back on!?

I just changed the alternator in my 1998 chevy cavalier. I released the tension on the belt to get it off of the alternator and now I can't get it back over the new one. Any suggestions?
I can't get my drive belt back on!?
if you're releasing the tensioner and it's that hard sounds like you're not routing it quite right. check again to make sure you're putting on right. i usually put it around all the lower pulleys and the tensioner then remove the tension and put it over one of the easier to reach pulleys at the top last. a lot of people assume for some reason that the tensioner should be last and they take forever trying to get it on
I can't get my drive belt back on!?
Try routing it over the bigger pulleys first and then the smallest pulley as you release the tension from the tensioner
u have to release the tensioner to put it on also
it is a pain in the but. i had to take mine to a shop because it was being stupid and couldn't get it back. one of those things they make only for a body shopa nd you have to pay 200 bucks and it takes 2 secs
MAYBE YOUR WAISTLINE IS TO BIG.. TRY A LARGER SIZE,,,,
I would take it to the pros at autozone.
does the knew alternator have the same size pully on it as the old one. I worked at a parts shop and a lot of alternators that were bought from the store were the right ones, but the pulleys were different size. but everything else on them were the same. it was wierd, but the pulleys are easy to change, the nut on the pulley just unscrews counter clockwise, its best to do it with a impact wrench and have somebody hold the pulley while you unscrew it.
Check to see if the belt is the same length as the one which came off. Secondly, check to see if the alternator pulley is the same size or is it different. And lastly, if you released the tension to get the belt off, you'll need to do the same thing to get the new one back on.
if it will help you, you can put some grey tape over each puley and when you get to the tensioner just give it a pull with the appropriate tool, and thats it folks.
  • software
  • african american hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment