Thursday, October 6, 2011

'94 Chevy Astro Van Dashboard Fuse Shorted-Out?

I have a '94 Chevy Astro Van and the dashboard lights do not come on and I know it has shorted-out. Although the headlights turn on, the dashboard lights are out.



This happened right after I replaced the back lights because one was dead. Anyway, later that night, the fuse (which is 20amp) shorted. I replaced the fuse with a new 20 amp fuse and it blew out again when I turn on the headlights/dashboard lights (though the headlights and back lights are still on)



Anyone who gives a good suggestion (instead of the obvious %26quot;take it to a shop%26quot;) answer will be my new best friend and some points.



I am not a mechanic but I am trying to learn to fix my car on my own..(I have already done work on my van like changing the alternator, belt, brakes, battery, etc) so Please please help!



So my question is what would be the reason
'94 Chevy Astro Van Dashboard Fuse Shorted-Out?
The reason is there is a short in the dash lamps circuit. Check the owners manual for the list of items that are powered by the fuse that keeps burning out. Isolate each item on the list until you find the one that is shorted. Some libraries have service manuals you can check out to help with your quest. With 1700 GM dealerships going out of business you may be able to pick up the appropriate manuals at a dealer auction.
'94 Chevy Astro Van Dashboard Fuse Shorted-Out?
instrument cluster lights are not a 20amp fuse. Fuse for illumination or instrument cluster is suppose to be 5 or 10amp. Look in owners manual or on fuse panel to make sure it is the correct fuse placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment