Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do I have a Water Pump Problem?

I noticed my engine started to rattle before it started overheating. I thought it could be one of the common problems associated with older engines (screws become loose/stripped and need to be replaced)

Then, my car started to overheat. I thought it may be a radiator leak so I used some sealant and 2 days later it overheated again and I refilled it with coolant this time checking it after every drive. No noticeable instant leaks and every time i checked it coolant was at a good level.



This morning while pulling into my work parking lot I notice the temp gauge climbing so I put the car in park and let it cool down. I filled my car with coolant and watched it again for a leak and nothing happened.



While driving today (about 8 hours later) I decided to pull over pop the hood and see if I could pinpoint the leak after I've been driving and the car was idle. I noticed water pouring out directly under the engine. I could clearly see it from the small space between the engine and the radiator from the top view.



Could it be my water pump has gone bad? I just changed my started a few weeks ago and I wonder if it was damaged when it was temporarily removed. Or if it was just a coincidence..



Specs:

2001 V6 Mazda 626

190k miles

Alternator belt changed, timing belt changed (both at 120k)

Starter changed (190k miles)

Alternator changed (185k)

Tune up at 130k.



Known issues:

CV Joints needs replaced

Oil leak that seems to be fixed

Front brakes need to be changed.
Do I have a Water Pump Problem?
could be the waterpump leaking, there is a weep hole at the bottom of the pump that will leak if it's bad, sometimes hard to see with the belt pulley in place.
Do I have a Water Pump Problem?
From what you are saying it sounds like the water pump has to be replaced.
It could be a few different things:



1) your thermostat is stuck closed causing your engine to over heat and the coolant flowing out your car is from the overflow tank.



2) you blew a head gasket and its leaking between the head and the cylinder



3) you're leaking from the water pump
It certainly could be your waterpump, but it could also be a hose or gasket. The best bet is to bring it to a shop. They will pump pressure into the cooling system which will show the leak without just throwing parts at it. Should cost aroung $75 or so. Will save you money in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment